…. July 15th, 2011. The Harry Potter saga, that is. (Hitchy, if you clicked on this post, run away as fast as possible)
We managed to get a couple of hours baby free, and rushed over to the theater to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – II on Friday. Loved it. To a die-hard Potter fan like me, it is useless to to talk about reviews. I am just going to summarize my thoughts about this movie and about Potter in general(yes, I never let go of an opportunity to talk Potter):
- I loved the fact that the last book was split into two parts. Even with this increased length, a lot of things felt rushed. I wanted the film to show the relationship between Albus and Aberforth Dumbledore, and Ariana’s story. I also wanted it to show how Tom Riddle never really understood love, hence he never really understood what made Potter the boy who lived.
- Snape could have gotten a few more scenes. Even in the books Snape gets the short end of the stick from JK. His character never got the redemption it deserved when alive.
- I also wanted more meat for Lupin, but he was unceremoniously killed. I wanted his character fleshed out a little more, considering he was James’ best friend. This is why I liked the Prisoner of Azkaban a lot. The little interactions between Harry and Lupin are worth watching over and over again.
- While the station scene between Dumbledore and Harry felt rushed, I was thrilled to see that the ‘Evil baby-like creature’ was shown on-screen. Reading the book I was extremely curious how the creature would look ‘in flesh and blood’.
- One scene in the movie that was not in the book – Harry stepping out of the crowd of students in the Great Hall and confronting Snape. Brilliant! One scene that I feel should have been in the movie, Centaurs joining the battle. Also, they should have shown Percy coming back to the family.
- Are you as surprised as I am about how handsome the kid that plays Neville Longbottom has turned out? Of every other kid actor in the movies, this kid is the most good looking. The same goes for the girl that plays Luna Lovegood. Cute as a button.
- Ralph Fiennes is the best villain ever, as Voldemort. I cannot imagine anyone else be as bad-ass as Ralph. His voice and mannerisms are perfect Voldemort.
- Is anyone as sad as I am about the series being over? Although the way the movie and books end, with the next generation going to Hogwarts 19 years later, I have a lot of hope about a new series of adventures. Maybe JK can write Wizard adventure short stories, not necessarily about Harry Potter? I am just not willing to let go of the amazing world she created. Such a waste.
- Maybe Warner Bros can release a DVD with deleted scenes from all 8 movies. I am sure fanatics like me will lap it up.
- Pottermore comes alive July 31st. Who else is excited about it?
- Finally, I hope BabyN finds joy in a fantasy world like his mum and dad did.